This week we have been super busy putting in better water for our cows. In the last three weeks or so we put in two Cobett waterers. These are automatic waterers that stay full. They provide a safe alternative to having to go in the pond for water. These waterers were placed behind a reservoir and use gravity to stay full. There is no electricity or solar power to power them. I find it so neat that we don't need anything, but gravity to make these work. They are put into the ground about 5 feet or so. The actual water storage is a 25-30 gallon trash can. In the middle of that there is a ball that acts as the float so the water doesn't run over the top and make a mud puddle around the waterer. The floating ball also acts as a freeze deterrent in the winer. The idea is that the ball floating back and forth in the wind keeps the water moving and water that is moving is less likely to freeze. I'm so excited about these waterers because it will make the water SO much better and the cows won't have the chance of getting stuck in ditches. Matt and I did most of the work to put these 2 waterers in.
The other more extensive project we did was put in two spring developments. Springs are naturally occurring. We knew there were springs there because there was water on top of the ground, even in severe droughts. We worked closely with our local NRCS (Natural Resources Conservation Service) to get them designed correctly. The engineer worked with us for about a solid week getting these springs developed. We first had to get below the spring. We have an trackhoe that was instrumental in this job. After we got down below the water we put in perforated pipe until we were past the spring. Perforated means there are holes in the pipe that allow the water to enter it. We put rock all around that perforated pipe and it will act as the filter to keep dirt out and the water streaming in. Again, the engineer is instrumental in making sure we are at the right depth and falling the right amount of depth. Then it's simply digging and laying pipe until we get to the spring box. The spring box is a pipe that is set in cement. Then we put the four inch pipe that came from the perforated pipe through one side and then a foot below that on the other side we place two inch pipe. Somehow that helps equalize the water and pressure and something else. Again, that is how why we work with the engineer so that he knows what's going on and I don't have to. Then we take two inch pipe clear to the tank. We used a recycled earth mover tire for the tank. The two inch pipe comes in the bottom of the tire. There is an outflow pipe that goes back out and we dig an outflow line. We cut the outflow pipe off just below the top of the tire so the water goes out the outflow and not over the top of the tank. Again we don't want the water flowing over the top so the cattle would create a mud puddle. Then we cement the inside of the tank to seal it so water won't leak out of the bottom of the tank. Last we put rock around the tank so it will create a solid foundation for the cattle.
It took a lot of work! It took a lot of time! It took a lot of money! However, I'm also super excited about these because they are the cleanest water you can get and they will allow the cows to have some awesome water without us having to worry or haul water.
Hopefully that made sense. Hope you had an amazing holiday weekend! I have lots to do yet tonight, and know I'm a day late on only the second week back to blogging, but better late than never is the philosophy I'm going with. Have an amazing rest of the evening and good luck on the start back to your work week!!